Thursday 23 April 2009

Blast from the Past?

A couple of days ago I was invited to a quiz held at a pub I would normally pay to avoid. The Bay Horse in my hometown of Barrow-in-Furness is a purpose-built pub on a prissy sixties estate inhabited by beige-wearing Daily Mail readers desperate not to be thought of as working class. Entirely predictably cask ale or any other form of agreeable beer is conspicuous by its absence.

Scanning the bar a large font was impossible not to notice – Toby Light. I had no idea the brand still existed. I remember it in the eighties when it seemed to pollute about half of the pubs in the town. It's now so obscure (it doesn't have an entry on Ratebeer), somewhat masochistically I felt obliged to give it a try.

It was a spectacular triumph of non-flavourfullness with a creamy [how I hate that word] nitrogen head. It was selling rather well.

We didn't win the quiz. I won't be going back in a hurry.

No comments: