Monday 28 September 2009

Survey Results – the Average Respondant

66 people have so far taken the survey.

All prominent beer bloggers responded apart from Tandleman (though the pseudonym "Big Nora" did have me wondering).

The average (mean) respondent is:

Left/Right: -4.57 (remember negative numbers indicate leftness)
Liberal/Authoritarian: -3.68 (Remember negative numbers indicate liberalness)
Rates CAMRA: 6/10
Rates the tie system: 3.4/10
Age: 41.8
Likely to be a current CAMRA member: 51%
Likely to be in (or have been in the beer trade): 37%

Gender: 90.9% male, 9.1% female
80% of respondents were UK-based

OK, I'm not suggesting that my survey tells us anything about anything other than the sample group, nonetheless, the averages do seem to look like a picture of an average cask-ale drinker/beer fan.

Tune in later for more analysis.

There is one piece of analysis that is quite startling – I'll tell you later.




7 comments:

Tandleman said...

Well I hate to be left out. so duly submitted.

Jeff Pickthall said...

Thanks Tandleman.

You'll be intrigued to know that this "old rightie" scores to the left of you. And definitely more liberal.

Tim said...

I was strangly very centre, actually slightly to the left.

I think political orientation manifests itself more on a local level, and with issues which are directly relative to an individual.

Interesting post Jeff.

Tandleman said...

Jeff - You are welcome, but theory and practice are somewhat different. All things are more shaded than the questions allow in the real world rather than the academic one.

Sat In A Pub said...

I've taken this before, so my scores didn't come as a surprise. As a sociologist, I don't think you can link this with beer but it's a nice piece of fun.

Of course, it's possible to be an "old rightie" and still be on the left-just ask Trotsky.

Alistair Reece said...

I wonder how many of the non-UK based respondents are British expats like myself?

Jeff Pickthall said...

Velky Al:

14 responded "non-uk". To the best of my knowledge 5 were 100% non-uk, 1 was ex-pat (you) and 8 were unknown to me.